Monday, February 15, 2010

The Snow Syndrome

Hail my running brothers and sisters!  With today's snow, I'm officially tired of winter, and I'm ready for spring.  I realize that this is not a new topic in the running blogsphere, but now I find myself drawn into the discussion.  I'm tired of sub-30 degree temperatures, 10 degree wind chill factors, dodging icy patches, snow pelting my face (okay, the snow is still cool, but I'm okay if it goes away), and slipping through the slush.  I'm sick of snot dripping down face, my breath burning from the cold, and then my breath freezing to my face.  I'm ridiculously tired of digging through my duffle bag for a pair of matching gloves and a hat, putting on enough layers so that I feel like I'm running in a sleeping bag, and peeling off wet, slushy socks after I'm done.  Now, the uninitiated and the neophyte might suggest that I try running inside on an indoor track, or God forbid, a dreadmill.  The problem with indoor tracks that I could use is that they tend to be narrow and short, so I never build up a great amount of speed without barreling through a crowd of walkers.  Then I also have to deal with the overwhelming feeling that I've turned into a giant hairless hamster running endlessly on that short track.  Ugh.  I won't even go into the numerous ways that I detest the treadmill.  Nope.  If I'm going to run, it better be outside. That being said, I blame that damn groundhog for all this snow.  Okay, now for the hard numbers:  I did an easy 5.2 mile run at 8:14/miles.  I didn't plan on going that hard, especially after a grueling 11 mile run yesterday, but I still managed the strong pace.  I'm still exploring the Country Music Marathon route, and I'm pretty confident that I'll have it down eventually.  Of course, it would be nice if the weather cleared up to do a decent long stretch of the course.  Well, enough ranting.  Have fun and run hard!

No comments:

Flag Counter

free counters