Sunday, May 3, 2009

New Plan

With my first 1/2 marathon behind me, I've re-evaluated my training and workout program. Initially I didn't have much of a program, I knew that I wanted to lose weight and tone up my flab. 40+ lbs. later and a marathon on the horizon, I want to focus on endurance, speed, and some toning up. To that end, I'm focusing on spending less time working out, but increasing the intensity. Before the 1/2 marathon, I tried to work in at least 2-3 relatively long runs. Now, I think that my longest run during the week will be 8 miles and maybe only once. I'm going to stick to 3-5 mile runs to emphasize speed work and intervals to keep my weight down. I'm saving my long run for the weekends. Ideally, I'll be able to add 1-2 miles to my long runs every week. For weights, that means fewer sets/reps but more weight to acheive my goals. I'm also doing more targeted weight-lifting instead of a general weight program. My weight program will center around bench press, squats, shoulder press, and deadlifts on different days. I will also be complimenting each lift with more specific lifts, such as dips, rows, lunges, front squats, single leg squats, etc. I'll be using this plan through August till I need to build in more long runs for a marathon in October.

Food on my list: Spinach. If it's good enough for Popeye, it's good enough for me. It has contains vitamins A, C, and K. It's great for your eyesight, may help prevent cancer, and help protect against heart disease.

On my mp3 player: Nickelback - Burn It to the Ground. This is hard, fast tune. It's great in the middle of a workout to get the adrenalin going.

No comments:

Flag Counter

free counters