Saturday, May 16, 2009

I'm Tired of the Rain

Ideally Saturday is supposed to be my long run day.  This morning I was going to belt out 14 miles when I got up at 4:30.  I had my clothes laid out, my camelbak ready, mp3 player charged, and various other running accessories that I might need in the morning.  When I woke up, I was treated to a flash of lightening outside of my window, so back in bed I went.  Since I took off yesterday, I did manage to make it over to the Bellevue YMCA to get in some deadlifts and a quick treadmill run to stay loose but not over-tax myself before tomorrow.

Hopefully, I can make up my long run tomorrow; even though, I was looking forward to making Sunday an easy day.  I did pick up a weighted belt that I can add up to 10 lbs of weight.  I may take it with me tomorrow to see how my time is.  I figure even the little weight the belt adds may help me with my endurance.  Despite my gains in distance and speed in the short time that I've been running, I still have a hard time getting started.  The first 2 miles of any run are always a killer for me.  I just feel like I'm dragging.  After the first 2 miles though, the endorphins kick in and I feel like I'm cruising as long as the course isn't too hilly.

Here's my dilemna:  There is a 31 mile ultra-marathon here in Nashville in October.  I really want to run it (even though it is the same day as my high school reunion), so I really need to get in my long run in on the weekend or I won't be ready come October.  I already logged 28 miles for the week, but those were shorter speed runs in general.  Between the 5/10k's that I have been running lately and the rain, it's getting harder and harder to squeeze in my long runs.  So if I can get a break in the storms, I'm hitting the road tomorrow, rain or no rain.  Just no lightening please.  I don't want to give God a free shot because I can't find time to run during the week.

No comments:

Flag Counter

free counters