Sunday, August 29, 2010

End of the Week Recap 8/29/10

Hail my running brothers and sisters!  Week 5 of marathon training is in the books, and slightly better than last week.  I did 31.67 miles at an average pace of 8:28/mi.  I did almost no cross-training except for ugly 2 hrs of golf.  My easy runs have been a bit faster than easy pace, which has tended to build a lot of false confidence.  My speed work and long runs have actually been more telling.  During a tempo run, I can hit my paces, but I can't hold onto it for more than a mile or two.  My long run this showed that I started to lose it after mile 13.  My splits before mile 13 were under 8:45, but after 13, they were 9:05, 9:05, 9:19, and 10:38 respectively through 16.  Not good.  Mile 16 is especially troubling, seeing as how that was where I got dead-legged in the Country Music Marathon.  I think that I need to get serious about real cross-training and weight-lifting to further my endurance.  Hopefully a new outlook on my workouts will translate into more confidence at the end of my runs also, as I'm sure that my stupid head is getting in the way as much as any physical weaknesses.

And before I close this week down, I'm gonna do that proud parent/coach thing that usually drives me nuts to read.  After all, no one else cares about our kids like we do, right?  Well, I'm no different.  Today was the first cross country meet for the Parochial school league, of which I assistant coach my kid's school's team.  I wish that I could take credit, but damn if those kids haven't gotten faster since last year.  It is inspiring to me to see those kids gutting out that last quarter mile, just because their wildly hysterical screaming assistant coach is screaming at them to dig deep and bring it home.  Oh yes.  I was that guy.  Holla!  As for my kid, you may look up "awesome" in the dictionary and you will see his smiling, sweaty face right there.  He clobbered 2 MINUTES off his time from last year, and I couldn't be more proud!  Thas my boy! Dayum!

All right, I better cut out, before I embarrass my boy any further. Later kids!

1 comment:

Psyche said...

You're awesome Joel! Love the proud parent moment :)

Flag Counter

free counters