Monday, August 17, 2009

Random thoughts for 8/18/09

What do 4 deer, 2 jackrabbits, 3 squirrels, 30 ounces of Gatorade (orange of course!), a pack GU energy gels, and a middle-aged Filipino have in common? We were all in Percy Warner Park at 6:00 AM as I trudged along the 11.2 mile Main Drive for my long run on Sunday. I ended up doing 17.78 miles at 2:50:11 (9:34 mins/mile). I had planned on doing that distance at a nice slow, leisurely pace, but my pride got in the way of my sanity. I ended up attacking the hills and flying down the downhills. I felt good after the run, if not tired, later that day. However when I tried to do an easy run on Monday, I felt tight and sore all over. My cold bath seemed to help but for some reason, I still felt tight.

Tuesday, I got my new Garmin Forerunner 305 and I'm totally digging my new running toy. My wife let me buy it in moment of weakness, and I'm so glad she did. This thing is AWESOME!! It has a heart rate monitor and can show me my heart rate, elevation and speed at various points on the run. That is wicked cool! (By the way, I'm bringing back "wicked." I think that it has been out of circulation long enough that it needs to be brought back.) Anyway, I did a quick 2 miles around the neighborhood to test it out and it did not disappoint. The only think thing that could be a slight problem is that the face has so much information, the display type ends up being a bit smaller than I like. Such is the price for all those wonderful stats, so I will endure!

Finally with school starting, I have signed up to be an assistant coach to my son's cross-country team. It looks like I'll be working with mostly 3rd-6th graders which should be fun in that way its fun to herd cats. I kid. I kid. Actually I'm looking forward to it, but I've got to figure out some fun running games that don't make it seem like they might be learning something or they will turn on me. It has been suggested to me that chasing the children and throwing wrenches at them might not be appropriate...or safe. But I figure, if they can dodge a wrench, then they can run a mile. Right? All right. That's it for now. Later, kids.

No comments:

Flag Counter

free counters