Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Quick report from the beach

Today was going to be my first day in a week of long runs, but it was sadly for naught. I got up late (apparently driving 8 hours in the car is not the same as actual rest) and by the time I got down to the street, the sky had opened up and the rain came down. Not a big deal for a guy like me, right? Exactly. So I hit the road, and I think okay "the rain isn't so bad, I can deal with it." Of course, you know what happens next, right? You got it, lightening and thunder. Okay, now this is the conversation I'm having in my head:

Sane me: Uhhh, hey asshat, that was thunder and lightening.
Runner me: Yeahhh...but the lightening looked far away. I'll just run away from the storm.
Sane me: You do realize that when your wife reads this, she'll tell you that you're an idiot, right?
Runner me: Yeahhh...but that'll be after I got my miles in. Who cares as I long as I can run a gazillion miles?
Sane me: Sonofabitch!!! Hey asshat! That lightening bolt looked pretty f'ing close to me!
Runner me: Let's count it out and see: 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, 3 mississippi, 4 mississippi, 5 mississippi, 6 mississippi, 7 mississippi, 8 mississippi, 9 mississippi, 10 mississippi. See the lightening is 10 miles away. No problem.
Sane me: Holy Shnike!!!! Did you see that!?! Did you see that!?! That was definitely closer! Go back to the condo!
Runner me: No, no. Count it out. 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, 3 mississippi, 4 mississippi. Huh. That was closer. Maybe I should go back in.
Sane me: Ya think!?! You sure are a genius. Now get my wet ass back inside!
Runner me: But I've only gone a mile. I bet it will blow over soon. This is the beach after all. The ocean winds will move it out, right? Whoa!
Sane me: See! See! Count that one out!
Runner me: Sigh. Okay. 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, 3 mississippi. Okay, okay...I'll go back. But if I do get hit and get super-powers, you'll feel silly.
Sane me: STFU and get inside.

Okay, so the conversation in my head goes on like this for another mile till I get back to the condo. I try to belt out a few miles on the dreadmill in the workout room, but I quickly realize that my running form is completely different on the treadmill, which is causing me some pain. So after 3 minutes, I bag it and head back upstairs to go back to bed. I did take this picture from the balcony. Pretty huh?
Hopefully I'll be able to get some real mileage in soon before I lose my mind. But judging from this post, it may be too late for that. Later kids.

No comments:

Flag Counter

free counters