Monday, June 22, 2009

Wilma Rudolph 10k/5k Race Report - 2009


Saturday was a good day for me. I ran a 10k and a 5k in Clarksville, the Wilma Rudolph Road Race. I ran a PBR of 49:22 mins in the 10k and got 2nd place in my age group. In the 5k, I ran 25:22 mins and eked out 3rd place. This was the first time that I ever placed in any of the races that I ran. Even though my age division wasn't as stacked as the younger divisions, they are still accomplishments for which I'm proud. The day was a hot 95 degrees, but definitely do-able from the evidence of the firefighter who ran in his full gear plus oxygen tank in the 5k! He still finished around 30 mins! There's nothing like placing to fuel an addiction in this sport. The faster times are surely gratifying as is the healthy physique, but seeing your hard work rewarded is even more incentitive to hit the road again. After my races, I couldn't wait to tell my family and friends. I was so psyched that I probably could have run another 10 miles, at least until my body ran out of fuel/energy and I dropped like a wet stone to the ground. I did pay with a renewed case of shin splints the day after the race, but I'm recovering and should be ready for my 5k this weekend. Thank goodness for ice packs and ibuprofen. So on to my next race for more booty, riches and honor! That is if my legs hold up.

No comments:

Flag Counter

free counters