Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Breathe Deep Nashville 5K

Today was the Breathe Deep Nashville 5K.  It was an event sponsored to fund lung cancer research.  I formed an SBA team for this race as this was organized by one of the SBA parents who's on the steering committtee.  The race took place around and in Centennial Park.  Since much of the course was outside of the park, it was a bit hillier than I anticipated, but not significantly so.  Despite a late 9:00 am start, it was pretty cold this morning;  somewhere around the mid-40's.

I knew that there were a lot of races going on in Nashville today, so I figured that the field would be small.  Even so, I hadn't run much since the Lincoln Y Half-Marathon and I wasn't sure how I would do.  Turns out that I was right in that the field was pretty small.  Probably under 500 participants.  Despite the weather and the course, I managed a decent time and finish.  I finished the race in 21:17, 6:51/mi with a 1st place finish in my age group and a 6th place finish overall.

Of note from this race, one of my 5th grade cross country runners ran the race today also.  Today was her 2nd 5k, and she got 1st place in her age group with a sub 30 min finish!  Makes an old coach proud.  When did I get so old????

Finally, a shout out to my homies who finished the Savannah Rock and Roll Half and Full Marathon today and the Ragnar Relay.  Great job everybody!

No comments:

Flag Counter

free counters