Thursday, November 5, 2009

WTF was I thinking????

Hail my running brothers and sisters! Maybe you all can help me figure out WTF I was thinking when I signed up to do a half-marathon 3 (count 'em 3!) weeks after my very first marathon! Seriously, I poured a lot of time and effort into that marathon and was lucky to come up with a sub-4 hour finish, so why on God's green earth would I believe that I could turn around and bang out another 13.1 mile race 3 weeks later. Like my wife says, I'm not Tarahumara, I'm from Tull-a-homa (to get this joke, you need to have read Born to Run and shame on you if haven't read it yet).

At some point this week, I ended up having this conversation with myself:

-Joel, you've run farther than 13 miles on any given weekend, just treat this like a training run, right? Am I right?

-Wrong, asshatius! You, my friend, forget that being a Monkey Boy with banana's for brains, treat every race like...wait for it... a race! There's no training runs on race day! That young jedi is why you fail.

-Well crap on a cracker!

So what will I do? Simple, I will run my ass off despite that I haven't run over 20 miles a week in the last 3 weeks, and I will probably break something important. Hopefully it won't be a part that I tend to store my brains in at various points of the day as my wife would be very unhappy with me. Love you Dear! But I digress. Before this week, I was hoping that I could cut my time down to around 1:40 to finish. Now, I think that I'll be lucky to finish under 2 hours. I'm still excited about the race, especially since this is a first half-marathon for a couple of my friends. I could decide to pace my friends and help them finish, but we all know that would be lie. I can't be trusted to hold back on race day. Seriously, if stupid were a pill, I would be a frickin pharmacy. Pray for me, my dumbass will need it. Ugh. Good luck and godspeed.

No comments:

Flag Counter

free counters