Friday, July 8, 2011

The Race Apology Recap

If you've been keeping up with my site (and God bless you, if you have, you poor dear), you've noticed a couple things.  One, that I have run 3 races in the last few weeks.  Two, I have not been posting the requisite race recaps (or any other damn thing for that matter).  Tonight, I apologize to you dear readers (this number still remains questionable.  After all if I'm the only one reading this, but reading it on different days, does that count as different reads?), and I will make it up tonight with some speed blogging recaps.  So hit your timers and let's go.

On June 25, I ran the Wilma Rudolph 10K and 5K in Clarksville.  The weather was near perfect, but we did catch some rain at the end of the 5K.  I ran the 10K pretty hard hoping to place in it despite a total (this is becoming a theme for the summer, I'm afraid) lack of proper training.  Luckily for me, I did manage a 1st place finish for my age group (with a 16th place finish overall) with a time of 44:25, 7:10/mi (which also turned out to be a PR.  Yay for me!).  The 5K was a different story.  I was fairly depleted after the 10K but still managed a 2nd place finish for my age group with a time of 21:51, 7:03/mi.  Now that all the soldiers from the 101st are starting to come back home, it looks like there is a lot more competition up there.  I'm glad they're back safe and sound, and almost as glad to have the competition to motivate me to try harder.

On July 4, I ran the I Run For the Party 10K in Nashville.  Having run a fast 10K a couple weeks before, I hoped that would translate into another fast 10K.  Plus I figured all the fast runners would run the 5K.  Shocker. I was wrong.  When given a choice, really competitive runners (at this level) usually go for the longer distance (makes us muy macho).  Duh.  That being said, I did not post a fast time (partly due to my mid-race pit stop at the porta-potty) but finished first in my age group with a time of 46:19, 7:29/mi (Don't be too impressed.  The race only gave prizes to the first 3 finishers, the first 3 Masters finishers and the first 3 Grandmaster finishers both male and female.  The Masters (my group) were all filled out with the other 40 year olds that whipped my ass to the finish line.).

Now I'm about 3 weeks out from my vacation, and I've decided to work on my beach bod instead of my running for now.  I'm glad for the gym time, because I'm just not feeling the drive to put the miles on right now.  Hopefully that will change by August, but right now I gotta get ready for the beach!

No comments:

Flag Counter

free counters